NHS England has revealed plans to crack down on poor care being provided by mental health service providers. The organisation has told HSJ of a new quality programme that focuses on inpatient care. There will be a particular focus on independent units treating NHS patients, as just over a quarter of these providers are failing to meet quality standards.
Official data shared with HSJ shows that of the 238 independent NHS mental health providers licensed by the Care Quality Commission in England, 174 (73 per cent) are classed as “good” or “outstanding”. The remaining 64 (27 per cent) either “require improvement” or are considered “inadequate”.
A new head of quality has been appointed to oversee improvements in private and NHS units.
Full story in HSJ, 11 August 2022